Saturday, February 13, 2010

I like the caramels.

I was reminded tonight of how much I love Walt Whitman.  I never pick up Leaves of Grass that I don't feel the need to lay on the green ground and stare at the sky through the trees.  Whitman makes me feel like I think a person should feel while having a religious experience.  After a good sermon from Walt I feel hopeful and have a renewed faith in both myself and mankind.  Song of Myself is my Psalms.  I think Whitman intended the reader to feel that way; to have that lyrical, singing quality from his written words.  I'm just glad King James isn't around to screw it up.

1 comments:

Russ said...

I love the picture of the Walt Whitman Sampler. My favorites are the chocolate-covered yawps. I have felt very Leaves of Grass-ish lately while walking around in the snow and admiring the quiet, white landscape. Can't wait to do it in the green summer.