Friday, February 5, 2010

Prison Love...


I was cleaning out my desk today at work and stumbled upon this poem (that is po-em for you Ms. L).  It was given to me about a month after I started to practice law.  The author was an inmate up for parole and I was appointed to represent him.  He wrote this poem for me and recited it to me while we were sitting in the visiting room awaiting his hearing.  I haven't head from David T. since the day he was released from prison.  David, I hope you are doing well and that you figured out that Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." is not a song about how awesome America is. 

A poem by David T.
(Published as written by the author)

So now your an attorney
you've come quite a ways
Is it all about justice?
or just the one who pays?
These are just words of thought
When a life is based on those who get caught.
Days full of trials, trials are in court
right or wrong is what you must sort.
Where is your life, where does it lead,
must be confusing truth based on a plea.
You've got to take time to let it all go,
get in your space, let nobody know
who you are besides what they think
it does'nt matter you look pretty in pink.
Be who you are, all you can be
success is not based on he or she
its just how you feel about the person you are
you can be your own luckey star.
You are the prettiest attorney around
being in prison is like being in the pound.
God sets the course then you must choose
what you want out of life some win, some loose.
today is your choice so havit it your way
let no one stop you of having a Great Day!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Sarah,

I'm glad you have an outlet for sharing all the freaky things that happen in your life.

D. Chamberlin-Long